Saturday, July 2, 2022

The Liturgical Act.
Saint Sophrony the Athonite.

 

Saint Sophrony the Athonite.
    I have ventured to speak of things that a monk usually keeps a precious secret within himself, for fear lest 'Jesus convey himself away': It was given me to learn of this while I was still living in the Monastery but it became much clearer after I went into the desert. There, in seclusion, I so experienced the presence of the Living God that the world was forgotten.

There is no way adequately to describe this experience of Divine visitations. They do not repeat themselves in the same form - almost every time they bring something new with a different sequence.

The Name of Jesus Christ for the believer is like a high fortress-wall. It is not easy for the enemy to cheat his way through the heavy iron gates if our attention is not distracted by outside concerns. The Jesus prayer gives the soul the strength to resist harmful influences from outside. It does even more. It affords us the possibility to influence the milieu in which we live- to emerge, as it were, from the inner depths of our mind and heart and mix with our brethren in love and peace. Increasing peace and love, commanded by God, induce ardent prayer for the whole world. The spirit of Christ draws us into expanses of love embracing all creation, so that the soul prays urgently:

“O Lord Jesus Christ, our Saviour, have mercy upon us and upon Thy world”

I remember how invocation of the Name Jesus Christ merged with the presence (invisible) of Him Himself. And from that moment this wondrous Name - and other Names of God - have become channels towards unity with Him. At that time I was already an ordained priest. The celebration of the Divine Liturgy likewise assumed a different character: it was not only an act untainted by any wavering of faith but a sensation felt all through me of the FACT of the presence of God, accomplishing the Mystery. I felt the profound meaning and reality contained in St. Basil the Great's words: 'Thou hast given us the revelation of heavenly mysteries.":

Yes, the Lord, even unto us the least of men, reveals the mystery of the priestly service.

After that, my spirit was given to apprehend in many ways the efficacy of the Liturgical Office but I do not know whether I can find words to express my experience. The Liturgy as a Divine Act involves the whole being. There is no querying, HOW is this possible? For the priest it will be obvious, an ontological fact. 'Take - this is My Body ... Drink - this is My Blood.' And before, I used to take communion, not without faith, not without love, but with a less vivid consciousness of what was happening. Invocation of the Name of Jesus Christ gave me the experience of the blessed - but at the same time fearful- presence of the Eternal God. This does not mean, of course, that a similar sequence is obligatory for everyone.

With the first words of the Liturgy - 'Blessed is the kingdom of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost' - comes God's gracious response. Not always with equal intensity. The Liturgical Canon demands crucial atten­tion. The most exalted moment occurs with the Epiclesis. The priest and with him all who are present in the church petition God the Father to send down the Holy Spirit. And He comes and fulfils their supplication.

Through the Liturgical Act I learned to contemplate the life of Christ-Man. Before saying to the Aposdes, 'Take, eat: this is my body?" He had prayed in secret to the Father. He did not utter these fearful words as Master but as the Son of man, teaching us not to allow a single impulse within us that might have a trace of 'self-divinisation'. I have put this conception at the root of my life in Christ. I pray to the Father as a created being. I hope for salvation only as a gift of love from on High. I seek the adoption of sons not otherwise than through Christ; and hallowing and enlightenment only through the Holy Spirit. All these Three - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit - according to my profound conception are One Life, One Dominion, One Light, One Love. In Each of them there is absolute Fulness of Divinity. They are sepa­rate in me, undivided. They flow together in me without confusion. This is an eternal fact of Divine Being, Whose seal I hunger to receive despite my utter unworthiness. I am not trying to explain the Holy Triunity through logical abstraction. I live this great Mystery reverently, the revelation of which gives me the answer to all my questions.

 

 

Reference:

On Prayer. Archimandrite Sophrony(Sakharov).Essex 1996.