Saturday, December 14, 2019

Farewell Word.
Saint Sophrony(Sakharov)


     
Fr. Sophrony:
            Blessed be the Name of the Lord now and unto the ages!
         The Lord left as His commandment: "Love me and in this love keep my commandments"[1]. By keeping the commandments we become accustomed to live effortlessly in the frequent memory of Christ, His life, His example and His words. So then, I ask you please, my beloved brothers and sisters, to accept simply and in peace these words, not as mine, but as an answer to the call which our Lord is addressing us.
         If you hear now some things, similar to those that the Lord said at the Last Supper prior to His departure, I ask you please to not be saddened by these, because He Himself said: "Do not premeditate what you will speak... but whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak but the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father".[2] As He chose the Most Holy Virgin Mary and rendered Her a path for His Incarnation, in that same way the Lord unites Himself with all of us and according to our type of mind. Therefore, it follows that I have the right to speak, following the example of Christ, because He said: "I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you".[3]
         I will tell you that these last months were for me a great lesson. It is difficult for me to be parted from you. However simultaneously, although the Lord extended my days completely unexpectedly, my wish was to meet with each one of you individually, to say even only two words.[4] But somehow this is impossible in our life; and we accept this Divine Providence as the way of the Cross. You who have come here have chosen us, and not we you. Referring to His disciples the Lord said: "You did not choose me, but I chose you"[5]. This is the way of the Lord: The Spirit of the Lord chooses us and acts within us in our ignorance. What does it mean "in our ignorance"? That we ourselves live, "without effecting"; we don't try to draw near anyone in any way. We live in our simplicity and you come here guided by the Holy Spirit, because our life, as seen externally by people, is simple. Nothing special appears externally. However our life is a complete crucifixion. But no matter how, whether you chose us- and for this reason the Spirit of God rests in you- or we chose you, now we are "all one". And I say this to each one of you, repeating with boldness the words of Christ[6]. When we live here, externally it is as if there exists nothing special. In reality however, what prevails in everyone is something else, invisible to the eyes of this world.
         I don't believe that death in the body will be able to separate us. No! My death, nevertheless, in the doctors' opinion is now almost certain. Some give me a total of a few days. In the past they were wrong; perhaps now also they will be wrong. Our task now, our struggle, rests on overcoming the limits of time and matter, the matter of our body, in order to remain united also after my departure. And this, not because I am someone special, but because the Spirit informs me thus in my heart. I am a sinful man and I am unable to keep the commandment of the Living God, because this commandment embraces all the world, all of creation beyond time and beyond space. The Lord said at the Last Supper: "I live and you will live".[7] Thus I should remain with you alive.
         To our beloved spiritual father Silouan, God revealed Himself without words, in
Icon of Saint Silouan the Athonite.
a vision, at the beginning of his monastic struggle. Continue to bear our unbelievable effort, which without Christ is impossible. Our way is to "sacrifice" our life for the sake of the life of others. And there is no greater love than that in which the soul of man is ready for whatever death for the benefit of one's neighbour. The Lord said about this love that there is no greater.[8] Thus I allowed myself to speak, since you expressed the desire to remain faithful to the word and to the unity of our minds and hearts. Hundreds of people have attested that the Lord hears the prayers of this place.
         Therefore, be at peace in your hearts both in my presence and after my departure. We will remain inseparable...
         Yes, I keep silent, not because I have no words, but because it is difficult for me to pronounce them. The Lord said referring to His disciples in His prayer to God the Father: "At this hour I am asking for them; not for the whole world I am asking, but for those whom You have given me... whom I send out as sheep in the midst of wolves"[9]. Thus bear this life! It is built in a strange way, as if nothing special exists. But in reality there exists something most lofty and most grand: the love of the Father, the love of the Son, the love of the Holy Spirit is with us.
         Praying for each one of you by name, I am of course bound to each one of  you with the bonds, which we can say belong to the eternal kingdom, bonds of eternal love, unshakable to the ages of ages. It is difficult for us to accept these. Some Apostles spoke about this with greater boldness than that which we allow ourselves. Nonetheless, our principle of humility is an effect of God Himself, as the bishops pray in the Liturgy: "Visit, O Lord, this vine, which Your right hand has planted". I am in a state of impasse. I am, myself, impatient, even though I surrendered my life to the service of others. How many days, how many nights I spent with God in prayer- which I could not even call prayer, because it was a gnashing of teeth!
         Therefore, my precious brothers and sisters, at the end of my road I say to you that with our love towards Christ we will remain unshakable. Every misunderstanding, our every affliction, bear it as life in Christ. There are many ways towards the "absolute" in the life of mankind, but there is none which can be compared to the way of Christ. Therefore, don't become separated from Christ regardless of whatever difficulties. If the Lord has appointed our death, we will die with the consciousness of His love, which lead Him to the Cross. I hope that the words of Christ: "I live and you will live"[10] are truly effective within us.
         Every word of Christ is Divine Eternity itself. Do not betray Christ to anyone! Let Him be the only king of your heart, together with the Father and the Holy Spirit. Thus, faith in Christ is true life, the life of Christ Himself. As He suffered for the whole of creation and for the whole world, so we too will pray to God. And in the difficult times let us be overcome by the lamentation at Gethsemane. Because it so happens with us also, when our prayer resembles somewhat to that lamentation, when the Holy Spirit approaches us, for us to be truly living. Then begins our immortal life. And then the Absolute God reveals Himself to us in a totally different way. Our Christian faith is the utmost perfection, and let no one separate us from the love of Christ!- as said the great Paul. These words are mine, but you see we speak the same language about the same life, in the same way the Apostles and all the Saints witnessed to the Divinity of Christ.
         I am, thus, grateful to God, because I find myself here today also, carried by my young brothers. I ask God, as always, to give me a word. Then the words crowd together and I would like to chose those which are by nature carriers of life eternal: When we begin to suffer like Christ for all of creation, then in Christ and with Christ we live life eternal.
         Thank you for hearing my word, I am leaving with the certainty that the Lord brought each one of you here by His hand. Our life is not easy. He who doesn't know it, doesn't know the yearning for Christ. I end therefore my word to you with the words: let us offer our lives, so that others may live: let us comfort those who come to us; the poor who have no other comforter in this world. And so serving Christ in the persons of our brethren who are suffering, we will, through this love, be united to Christ for eternity.

"We will... be united to Christ for eternity."

        
Our plan now is to build our underground cemetery for all of us. If we build a surface cemetery and we bury every one separately, then our space will not be sufficient for long. Thus we will build a crypt. There will the tombs be, there will our bones lay... The joy however will be, that even after death we will remain inseparable.
         The blessing of the Lord be with all of you, my brothers and sisters.
        
*******





[1] See Jn.14,23: "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word".
[2] Mk..13,11; Jn.15,26.
[3] Jn.13,15.
[4] Finally this took place.
[5] Jn.15,16.
[6] See Jn.17,21.
[7] Jn. 14,19.
[8] See Jn.15,13.
[9] See Jn.17,9; Mt.10,16.
[10] Jn. 14,19.

Reference:
          BUILDING THE TEMPLE OF GOD WITHIN US AND IN OUR BRETHREN.by Archimandrite SOPHRONY (Sakharov)Vol.1-3.Homily  115(Delivered in Russian on 8 April 1993), Translation from Russian to Greek by Archimandrite Zachariah.St. John the Baptist Monastery, Essex, England, Third Edition, 2014.
        Translation from Greek to English by the Holy Trinity Family, Douma, Lebanon.